Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle."


Not many novels have affected me this year as much as the new book written by David Wroblewski "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." The story is beautifully written and evokes memories of every dog you have ever owned.

It would be simple to say that this is a novel about dogs but that would be an over simplification. It is about a small family who raises a unique breed of dog. These dogs have been bred to enhance qualities such as loyalty, intelligence, strength and a certain mental intuitiveness. The Sawtelle family aren't specific about their dogs abilities but their customers develop strong loyalties to their Sawtelle dogs and always come back for another.

Center to the story is the relationship between the Sawtelle's only child Edgar and their house dog Almondine. It is based on Almondine's intuitively recognizing Edgar's special needs at birth and deciding instantly that this would be her charge. She would be the one to attend to Edgar and make sure he did not come to harm. The bonding is instantaneous between them and is an integral part of everything that follows.

Mr. Wroblewski adds some interesting dimensions to his story by including some supernatural types of events. They do not seem out of place within the whole however and manage to impart more flavor than consternation. I also love Wroblewski's use of history not only of the family but of the place they live and the places that Edgar visits.

It was the review of one of my favorite writers, Stephen King, that prompted me to buy the book. His comment was that he rarely reads a book twice because life is too short but that he planned on reading this one again. That was good enough for me.

Funny that it was that particular review that prompted me to read this book because I do read books more than once and I don't think I will read this one again. It is not that it isn't a fantastic book but that it is too sad for me. My sister wrote me an e-mail after she finished the book and she quoted a line out of it that once read again made me cry like a baby.

This book is a lot like life. It has joys and it has sadness. It has love and betrayal. It has life and it has death.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, Jenifer! I've been wanting to get this book but am not so sure of it until I read your review. Now I've to add this to my wishlist! ;)

    ReplyDelete